Okay, so I was just thinking I have written about this trip I am going on, but I haven't really given any details. I know a lot of you are wondering what I am doing this summer to fill my time. Well, this trip really encompasses a lot of my summer so let me tell you about it.
I am traveling, on bus, from Salt Lake City to Vermont and back, with a group of about 50 teenagers.
Yes, I am crazy, but I have dreamed about this kind of trip for most of my life. Well, actually this trip came after Australia but it is more cost effective right now. For those of you who don't understand what the appeal to go that far on bus is, let me tell you about a few of my stops. Nauvoo Illinois, Jackson County Missouri, Kirtland Ohio, Boston, New York, Washington D.C. Palmyra New York, Rocky Ridge, and Salt Lake City. For me this is a trip of a life time. For three weeks I will be learning more about U.S. History, but more importantly, Church History. I also get to go with one of my best friends. Some of you may know that I have done EFY for three summers and I decided this summer not to do it mostly because of this trip. The biggest reason is four girls in one hotel room that I will be chaperoning. I get to do devotionals and all that fun stuff with them, but I get to be with them for three weeks. So, from June 10-28 I will be on this fabulous trip.
When I talk about this trip I tend to get so excited. I have spent a lot of time already on the trip. (Some people think I am crazy for doing all this work just to go on a trip but it is worth it.) I have spent about 14 Saturdays with Alisha studying about where we are going, reading stories, and histories about the early people of the church, different U.S. History information, and pioneers. We just spent about three hours today getting thoughts ready for our nightly devotionals. Also, I need to get another devotional ready for the whole group, and I am going to bake my world famous Candy Bar Cookies. It has been work, but just like anything else in your life, if you don't work for it, you don't appreciate it as much. Then there are a few more sacrifices for this trip I am going to make. First is music, our tour director has asked that we only listen to "church music" while we are out there, then he explained that is anything Deseret Book would sell. So, at least I can have Josh Groban out there, and Colors. But, I have over 1500 songs on my iPod and I am going to delete them all, just so I won't be tempted to listen to The Fray or John Mayer. Music is a huge thing in my life, a lot of you know, but I am willing to do whatever I need to have the best experience possible. The next one is Novels. Yes, I have to try to survive three weeks without a book. I almost find that impossible. I am going to compromise and take some church books, Lectures on Faith, Jesus the Christ Just so I have something to read, or I will go crazy especially when we are on the bus and I am not learning stuff or sleeping. But, I really want to have the best trip possible so I am willing to do whatever I can to invite the spirit. Now that I have those thoughts off of my mind. I will leave this blog until I return on the 28th. I hope these next three weeks everyone has a great time. I will post pictures when I get back.
2 comments:
I've always wanted to do one of those trips too! The summer before I met Josh, my family drove pretty much the same tour and it was awesome! I hope you have fun.
p.s. I was pretty shocked to learn that you haven't read Twilight yet-they seem like your type of book, so I know you'll love them. Let me know when you do and we can discuss!
Hey this is Sarah Tate - now Bingham. I found your blog from Marie's blog. I am addicted to blogging so I am adding you to our blog (http://sarahandcory.blogspot.com/). My husband and I live in upstate New York - very near the church history sights. SO ... when you say you are going by Palmyra, you're going to be very, very close to us!
Post a Comment